Founded in 1946 in Lima Ohio by Robert T. Powell, The Powell Company provides management support services, equipment and consumable supplies used to maintain the appearance, safety and cleanliness of business facilities and occupants, equipment, and textiles.
In its early days, much of Powell's sales were derived from supplying soap and cleaning supplies to local churches and schools. Today, The Powell Company is the largest company of its kind in the region, supplying products to organizations in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Michigan.
The 1990s were a period of growth for The Powell Company. In 1992 Gordon Supply in Dayton, Ohio was purchased to expand janitorial product sales in the southwestern portions of Ohio.
In 1995 The Powell Company was purchased by Lima-based businessmen, and in 1996 relocated to a much larger 94,000 square foot facility at the intersection of interstate 75 and state route 65.
In 1997, The Powell Company purchased United States Chemical in Greenville, Ohio. This purchase increased distribution of janitorial and warewash and laundry supplies western Ohio and eastern Indiana.
In September 2000 Powell purchased Toledo Industrial Maintenance Supply in Toledo, Ohio. This acquisition provided new industrial chemicals and janitorial products growth opportunities in northwestern Ohio and Michigan.
The Powell Company has established a reputation for supplying top quality products, carrying a large selection, providing timely delivery for large and small orders and willingly providing expert assistance to solve sanitation problems. This philosophy is summarized in the company mission, which is "To provide our customers with the best service, products and systems available for establishing the highest sanitation results in our area of influence and expertise."